Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Ago...

Five years ago today, I was sitting at the controls of WWJD Eagle 91.7 FM, Alice Lloyd's college radio station. My friend Aaron Goff and I were hosting a morning show and just having a good time trying to entertain. At a little past 9 am, we get word that the World Trade Centers are on fire.

We start to watch the news. We see plane number 2 hit. We see the split screen where a plane has hit the Pentagon, but at first we thought it was just a different view of what is going on. The whole time we are so confused. What is going on? Then, the tower fell. Then the second. I knew that we were at war.

I was sad. I was confused. I was pissed off. I was running in circles wanting to help. What could I do? Drive to DC or NYC and just pitch in? Here is the greatest tragedy in American history and I am powerless to help.

There is rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about that day and the anger, rage, sadness, and fear I felt. Being a child of the 1980's, the movie Red Dawn kept playing in my head. I knew that if it came to that, I would definitely be a Wolverine. But, I was stuck in Kentucky powerless to do anything. All we could do was pray, talk to each other, and be scared, sad, and mad.

As did most Americans, we did what we could. There was no way I could drive my car 1,000 miles to NYC to help. Most likely, I would be sent home and be kicked out of school. So, I did, and continue to do so, what I can do to make sure that 9-11 isn't just a bump in American history.

Every year I watch a 9-11 Documentary and every year I will help spread the word and spread the reminder of what we lost that day. Sadly, more and more people are tuning out their initial response to 9-11. People are forgetting. They are ignoring. They are letting 9-11-01 drift into historic obscurity.

We cannot forget. There are still empty chairs at dinner. There are holes in family trees. There are broken hearts still healing. There is a gaping hole in the middle of Manhattan that resembles the hole in America. We cannot forget the true meaning of what happened 5 years ago. Remembering is the best way to prevent it from happening again.

People ask for a national day of rememberance, a day of no work and no school. I think that is stupid.

9-11 should be the one day where attendance is 100%. As a nation, we should simply show up. Go to work. Go to school. Do what you normally should be doing. Attendance has to be 100%. The reason 9-11 happened was a bunch of renegade animals who have corrupted a peaceful religion decided to interfere with America and our daily lives. They wanted to scare us into our homes and scare us from going through our normal routine. So, in response to that, we should, as one nation UNDER GOD, show up. And, in one voice, tell those scum that we will not surrender, we will now cower to their cowardly attacks. We are Americans, dammit, and there's not a damn thing you can do to stop us.

No comments:

About Me...And This Blog Site...

My name is David A. Ebert, the oldest of two siblings produced by my parents, Leah and David G. Ebert. We are all Republicans, but I take it a toke or two...well, closer to 10 tokes...further than my parents,

I am very much a Right Wing Conservative. I am a Reagan Conservative. I believe Americans, in general, are smarter than elected officials in Washington, DC. We should be more in charge than the Government.

We, as individuals and families, should have more responsibility over our own, hard-earned money and not send more and more and more taxes to the out-of-touch politicians. I believe the government is there to serve us, and not us to serve them.

I believe in America's greatness and that, overall, we are the most generous, forgiving, intelligent, and genuinely decent country in the world. I also believe that we are the most powerful nation in the history of the world, but do not use that power to hold over the collective heads of other nations.

I believe that low taxes, intelligent spending of those tax revenues, strong initiatives on defense and education, and small government influence on the day-to-day lives of Americans are some of the most important ideals related to how the US should be operated.I believe in the freedoms granted by the US Constitution. I believe that judges should uphold and interpret the laws as written in the US Constitution, and not refer to any foreign legislation to make their historic decisions.

I believe the First Amendment, as well as the entire Bill of Rights, are the most important laws this world has ever seen.

I believe abortion is WRONG. I believe that homosexuality is WRONG. I believe that allowing anyone to publicly debate the possibility of lowering the age of consent, especially for young boys to consent to older men, is a tragedy of morality. I believe that organizations like NAMBLA should be publicly shunned and not given a platform to spew their harmful and dangerous rhetoric.

I believe there is a sad lacking in the ability of our nation to appreciate and accept self responsibility. We, as a nation, blame daddy, racism, sexism, classism, mommy, the mean teacher, the mean little league coach, the loud mouthed uncle, the financial status of the neighborhood in which we grew up in, and a million and one other reasons why we do not succeed. How often do we, as a nation, take the blame for our own mistakes? How often do you hear someone accept responsibility for their own mistakes? How often?

I am conservative. I am worried about the future of the country and the planet, especially if O-BOMB-A or Billary Clinton make it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I will start posting my fears, my hopes, my ideas as they all relate to news and politics. I hope to open some eyes and change some opinions with my writings. Most of all, I hope you will read my words and be inspired to find the truth...and not rely on Chris Matthews or Keith Olberman or Katie Couric or Matt Lauer for your opinions. I hope you will break the mold and do something unreal...unexpected...do something that O-BOMB-A and Billary are afraid of you doing...

THINK FOR YOURSELF.

Cross Referencing My Blogs