Friday, March 19, 2010

Health Care Reform Update

If you, no matter which side you support, would take time and listen to the pundits and the politicians weigh in on this topic, and would consider both sides without bias, it is clear which side is correct in this matter.

Before I explain why I think one side is correct and the other side is destructlively wrong, let me pose a series of questions. These are rhetorical, but if you would like to leave a comment with your answer, please feel free.

1) When has the US Government EVER created a series of programs and beauracrasies that made the government larger, but more efficient?

2) Do you REALLY think that giving the IRS more jurisdiction and power is a good thing for the American family?

3) How much money should successful people be made to forfeit in the name of redistribution?

4) Why do people that don't work and don't strive deserve to be taken care of off the backs of the people who do work?

5) If the bill was so fantastic and so wonderful, why the talk of circumventing rules and procedures to cram it through?

6) How in the world is a federal government takeover of the student loan program, taking the power to lend away from banks and private institutions (except one) part of health care reform?

Just some questions to ponder.

Now back to the opening ideas of this post. Let us look at the arguements for and against this plan. Look at the differences in the wording of the responses of each side. This is where I confirmed my belief that this fiasco is going to destroy our country, and not from Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, or even Mark Levin.

As I read and watched the arguements from both sides, I found a trend and a pattern. This pattern showed me which side was telling us the truth and which side was using strange forms of double-talk straigh out of Orwell.

On one side, you have people citing facts and programs actually in the bill. They explain how the downside of the plans in the bill will potentially destroy the economy, kill jobs, and potentially kill the very people the bill is advertised to save. This side speaks in facts, reality, and with a passion for our country.

On the other side, you will hear a lot of platitudes and wishful thinking. You have leaders in the Congress selling the plan as a way for struggling artists, writers, and musicians to quit their jobs they keep for insurance benefits and pursue their dreams. It is a way for potential entreprenures to quit day jobs and eliminate the risks to their families of being uninsured. They talk in lofty dreams and utopian ideas. They talk about how there is only one way to fix the problems in the health care system, meanwhile ignoring some of the biggest problems that are really there. They will tax everything under the sun, except for things they like, such as the Botox tax and taxes on plastic surgery. Despite the political alliance with the American Medical Association, which is just a political group and not an actual representation of medical personnel, actual doctors are not involved in the bill. Lawyers are. There is no tort reform included because why would lawyers limit their own income streams?

As any person will tell you, our system has flaws and does need some work. We need to find a way to lower the cost of an Aspirin in a hospital from $50 a pill. Band-aids need to cost less than $25. Yet, this bill will do the opposite. Costs for the average person will skyrocket.

This bill disallows the practices of insurance companies denying pre-existing conditions. However, it does nothing to protect the insurance company from abuse. Let's say you have no insurance but have a heart attack. Your spouse can call and purchace insurance en route to the hospital to cover the ambulance ride and the treatment for the heart attack. And the insurance company would have to, by law, cover you. I am sure that will lower insurance costs, right?

This bill will also force, legally arm-twist, all Americans into purchasing insurance. There are many people who prefer to pay out of pocket for services instead of deal with the hassle of filing claims and et cetra. For a relatively healthy person, it's more cost effective to pay $2000-$4000 in medical bills on the rare occasion they need services, than to pay $750-$1000+ a month every year, plus their deductibles and co-pays. There will be fines levied against those who do not purchase a government approved plan.

Which brings me to my next concern. What the heck is a "government approved plan?" Some group of senators, along with their lobbyists and SEIU friends, are going to determine what qualifies as an "approved" plan? What if my current plan doesn't meet their arbitrary standards? Do I have to change it, despite Obama's repeated promises that if I am happy, I can keep my plan? If a body of people cannot efficiently get a letter from West Virginia to Virginia, cannot find an efficient way to bill and receive taxes, and cannot find a way to market the census without wasting millions to hire Ed Begley and create a SUPERBOWL ad, I just cannot believe they will find a way to create a fair and efficient mandate on what makes for a "government approved insurance plan."

This bill is so far-reaching and creates so many beauracrasies. It grows our federal government exponentially. It will make everyone who purchases insurance see huge spikes in their rates. It will force companies to drop benefits packages because it will be too expensive. This bill will force the single-payer option on us because it is designed to bankrupt every single insurance company out there. Once the government is completely in control of health care, as Obama and many democrats have said is their end goal, then there is no going back. This bill will force our country into the same failing health system that Canada, the UK, and Cuba have. People will die sooner waiting for the most basic of needs. Minorities will see a drastic decline in their numbers because the most resources will be sent to the higher priority neighborhoods. This bill will KILL AMERICA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have this so right, Dave. We have been complacent too long while Washington (and Hollywood) blunt and corrupt the importance of virtue and integrity, and the bond between child and parent. We've ranted at our TVs railing against 'them', and feeling we have no power.
That has changed thanks to the arrogance of the current administration - I appreciate that they have shocked us into awareness. Before picking up the pitch forks and torches we have the opportunity to invigorate our Constitution - NOVEMBER 2010. I've never so desperately and impatiently awaited an election.

About Me...And This Blog Site...

My name is David A. Ebert, the oldest of two siblings produced by my parents, Leah and David G. Ebert. We are all Republicans, but I take it a toke or two...well, closer to 10 tokes...further than my parents,

I am very much a Right Wing Conservative. I am a Reagan Conservative. I believe Americans, in general, are smarter than elected officials in Washington, DC. We should be more in charge than the Government.

We, as individuals and families, should have more responsibility over our own, hard-earned money and not send more and more and more taxes to the out-of-touch politicians. I believe the government is there to serve us, and not us to serve them.

I believe in America's greatness and that, overall, we are the most generous, forgiving, intelligent, and genuinely decent country in the world. I also believe that we are the most powerful nation in the history of the world, but do not use that power to hold over the collective heads of other nations.

I believe that low taxes, intelligent spending of those tax revenues, strong initiatives on defense and education, and small government influence on the day-to-day lives of Americans are some of the most important ideals related to how the US should be operated.I believe in the freedoms granted by the US Constitution. I believe that judges should uphold and interpret the laws as written in the US Constitution, and not refer to any foreign legislation to make their historic decisions.

I believe the First Amendment, as well as the entire Bill of Rights, are the most important laws this world has ever seen.

I believe abortion is WRONG. I believe that homosexuality is WRONG. I believe that allowing anyone to publicly debate the possibility of lowering the age of consent, especially for young boys to consent to older men, is a tragedy of morality. I believe that organizations like NAMBLA should be publicly shunned and not given a platform to spew their harmful and dangerous rhetoric.

I believe there is a sad lacking in the ability of our nation to appreciate and accept self responsibility. We, as a nation, blame daddy, racism, sexism, classism, mommy, the mean teacher, the mean little league coach, the loud mouthed uncle, the financial status of the neighborhood in which we grew up in, and a million and one other reasons why we do not succeed. How often do we, as a nation, take the blame for our own mistakes? How often do you hear someone accept responsibility for their own mistakes? How often?

I am conservative. I am worried about the future of the country and the planet, especially if O-BOMB-A or Billary Clinton make it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I will start posting my fears, my hopes, my ideas as they all relate to news and politics. I hope to open some eyes and change some opinions with my writings. Most of all, I hope you will read my words and be inspired to find the truth...and not rely on Chris Matthews or Keith Olberman or Katie Couric or Matt Lauer for your opinions. I hope you will break the mold and do something unreal...unexpected...do something that O-BOMB-A and Billary are afraid of you doing...

THINK FOR YOURSELF.

Cross Referencing My Blogs