Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Don Imus v. Adam "I'm Not Pac Man!" Jones

The debate wages on. Is Imus racist? Is he a white elitist? Does he look down his nose at people of different races?

If he is racist and bigoted, should he be allowed to keep his current job and remain in his profession?

If he was so in need of termination papers for his first firing, why are there not nearly the outcries for his head on a platter now?

These are some of the most interesting questions regarding Don Imus, a morning talk-show host in New York. Recently, as many have heardover and over again, Imus made a comment that can be taken the wrong way, or in the way he claims he intended it. However, when it comes to race, if it is a white man involved, the court of public opinion will convict him of being racist.

First, let me say, I am not racist at all. I work with, talk to, eat with, email, and otherwise relate with people of different races, sexes, sexual orientations, and religions on a daily basis. I do so without hesitation or question. I see people as people first. The next paragraphs, when taken out of the context in which I am writing them, can and may be used to prove the entirety of this paragraph as false. However, I will call the truth as I see it. I hope readers will be mature and intelligent enough to take this commentary as a whole, and not pick and choose statements to fit their own agenda.

Now, I understand that racism and comments about race are offensive to some people. The "nappy-headed hoes" comment that Imus made in reference to the Rutgers women's basketball team was a toke over the line. However, I do not think that people like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson and the NAACP had the right to demand Imus be removed from his job. Imus, nor any person of any race, should automatically lose their job for a comment with racial undertones.

Imus is not and was not an elected leader. He is and was a mouthpiece hired for entertainment value to draw audience and sponsors. He is an entertainer. He is also an American, and, by proxy, has the right to FREE SPEECH.

Racism is not illegal. It is only against the law when hiring and firing employees, or when accepting or denying applications for housing, benefits, and schools. Otherwise, there is no legal statute that proclaims racism as illegal, either in speech or deed. There is nothing, legally, wrong with racism.

Imus has every right to say how he feels and to express his feelings toward other races. He should not lose his job because he offended people who heard his comments second- or third-hand. If you do not like what a person on the radio, TV, or internet has to say, you have every right to turn the channel...turn it off...or find an outlet yourself to disagree.

I am so tired of the double standard. Any black or hispanic commentator or entertainer can slam whites as much and as often as they choose. Chris Rock slams whites all the time. Carlos Mencia, who picks on everyone, would have been blacklisted for life had he said 1/2 of the things he has had he been white.

Everytime a white person mentions black people or has something bad to day about a black person, that white person is a racist and is scum. White people are made to feel guilty for just being white. I do not agree with Imus's comments, but I do think he has a right to say them.

If you don't like his comments, DON'T LISTEN. I don't listen to him. You don't have to. Ignore him. If he offends enough people, he will lose his job because the advertisers will stop advertising.

I am glad, but perplexed as to why Imus's job is not on the hot seat this time around. The cries from the leftist Uncle Toms (Jackson, Sharpton, Charlie Rangel, etc.) are very muted. Bill O'Reilly brought up a very interesting point as to why the "Fire Imus" chants are so quiet.

Barack Hussein Obama cannot afford a racial controversy to take the stage in the media now through November. A racial divide in America would cost B. Hussein Obama the election. Therefore, all the crazies out there are smart enough to let this slide for now. Even if Hussein Obama was not involved in the controversy, it would cause a social regression that would make it harder for whites to vote for an African American.

So, let me sum up this commentary. When hired as an entertainer who has to compete for ratings, sometimes lines will be crossed. A man should not lose his job because of his desire to compete. He has free speech, after all. And if you don't like what he says, TURN THE CHANNEL! Second, I am very curious as to why the libs like Media Matters aren't out there trying to crusify Imus again. Perhaps O'Reilly is on to something...

Until next time...thank you for reading! Be sure to visit www.AmericanSolutions.com and sign the petition.

No comments:

About Me...And This Blog Site...

My name is David A. Ebert, the oldest of two siblings produced by my parents, Leah and David G. Ebert. We are all Republicans, but I take it a toke or two...well, closer to 10 tokes...further than my parents,

I am very much a Right Wing Conservative. I am a Reagan Conservative. I believe Americans, in general, are smarter than elected officials in Washington, DC. We should be more in charge than the Government.

We, as individuals and families, should have more responsibility over our own, hard-earned money and not send more and more and more taxes to the out-of-touch politicians. I believe the government is there to serve us, and not us to serve them.

I believe in America's greatness and that, overall, we are the most generous, forgiving, intelligent, and genuinely decent country in the world. I also believe that we are the most powerful nation in the history of the world, but do not use that power to hold over the collective heads of other nations.

I believe that low taxes, intelligent spending of those tax revenues, strong initiatives on defense and education, and small government influence on the day-to-day lives of Americans are some of the most important ideals related to how the US should be operated.I believe in the freedoms granted by the US Constitution. I believe that judges should uphold and interpret the laws as written in the US Constitution, and not refer to any foreign legislation to make their historic decisions.

I believe the First Amendment, as well as the entire Bill of Rights, are the most important laws this world has ever seen.

I believe abortion is WRONG. I believe that homosexuality is WRONG. I believe that allowing anyone to publicly debate the possibility of lowering the age of consent, especially for young boys to consent to older men, is a tragedy of morality. I believe that organizations like NAMBLA should be publicly shunned and not given a platform to spew their harmful and dangerous rhetoric.

I believe there is a sad lacking in the ability of our nation to appreciate and accept self responsibility. We, as a nation, blame daddy, racism, sexism, classism, mommy, the mean teacher, the mean little league coach, the loud mouthed uncle, the financial status of the neighborhood in which we grew up in, and a million and one other reasons why we do not succeed. How often do we, as a nation, take the blame for our own mistakes? How often do you hear someone accept responsibility for their own mistakes? How often?

I am conservative. I am worried about the future of the country and the planet, especially if O-BOMB-A or Billary Clinton make it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I will start posting my fears, my hopes, my ideas as they all relate to news and politics. I hope to open some eyes and change some opinions with my writings. Most of all, I hope you will read my words and be inspired to find the truth...and not rely on Chris Matthews or Keith Olberman or Katie Couric or Matt Lauer for your opinions. I hope you will break the mold and do something unreal...unexpected...do something that O-BOMB-A and Billary are afraid of you doing...

THINK FOR YOURSELF.

Cross Referencing My Blogs