Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Met a Hero Today.

At the outlet mall today, I met a true hero.

I met a man with the honor, strength, and courage that even the most legendary heroes of lore would pale in comparison.

I met a man with the humility and humbleness of the greatest underdog characters in your favorite stories.

This man stood tall and proud...yet he is currently confined to a wheelchair.

His ailment came courtesy of an enemy attack. The hero rides, son in lap, in a wheelchair decorated in stickers of favorite rock bands and other statements of normalcy. Oh, and let us also notice the patch embroidered the back of his chair. The patch states that this strong, courageous, heroic, yet humble and proud hero has been awarded the Purple Heart.

I met a Purple Heart recipient.

I met and talked with a man who risked his life for me. He, like thousands others, is a parent, sibling, child, cousin, friend, and relative to many people in his life. They all put so much on the line for you and me.

This man, whose name I do not know, put his life on the line for me, a name he does not know.

So many Americans forget these people. They walk past them in a hurried rush as they have to get to the next store or meeting or where ever they are heading. They make a tight passing move round the slow-moving wheelchair, sometimes even with an audible sigh of frustration, making sure the driver of the chair on wheels knows that they have somehow inconvenienced you by simply being.

This man, with his young wife and son, were out at the outlet mall, doing what normal people take for granted. Enjoying a day in decent weather under the blanket of freedom his sacrifice helped knit. Hundreds of faces he may never see again passing by, ignorant of his sacrifice. The nameless masses taking for granted the freedoms his, and so many others', sacrifices have provided since the 1700s.

As I spoke briefly, not wanting to impose on a family day out, but long enough to make sure I let him know I was sincere, he spoke with humility and pride, decency and not a hint of pessimism. He told me he had gotten blown up and that is how his leg came to be in a full-length brace, confining him to his chair. I offered condolences and apologies, which were shrugged off, as if I were offering condolences for a bug-bite. I wished a full-recovery on his leg, to which he responded that he will probably lose the leg from mid-calf. He said it without a twinge of self-pity, fear, or negativity. It was as if he were telling me he was going to have to shave. No big deal. It happens.

Here is a young man, even younger than me, with a family, who risked life and limb, literally, for America. And he will have to pay the price of losing a large portion of his right leg. And he talks about it dismissively, showing that amazing and inspiring combination of courage and humility that can only be found in the American Soldier.

I left feeling uplifted and proud to be an American. I met the REAL soldier. Not the pranksters the media still plasters all over from Abu Garhib. Not the bold-faced lies of people like John Kerry, John Murtha and others, who have called out soldiers "terrorists" and "rapists" and "pillagers" and "murderers."

I met a real hero today. And I thanked him. I hope you will thank one of our heroes when you have the chance.

No comments:

About Me...And This Blog Site...

My name is David A. Ebert, the oldest of two siblings produced by my parents, Leah and David G. Ebert. We are all Republicans, but I take it a toke or two...well, closer to 10 tokes...further than my parents,

I am very much a Right Wing Conservative. I am a Reagan Conservative. I believe Americans, in general, are smarter than elected officials in Washington, DC. We should be more in charge than the Government.

We, as individuals and families, should have more responsibility over our own, hard-earned money and not send more and more and more taxes to the out-of-touch politicians. I believe the government is there to serve us, and not us to serve them.

I believe in America's greatness and that, overall, we are the most generous, forgiving, intelligent, and genuinely decent country in the world. I also believe that we are the most powerful nation in the history of the world, but do not use that power to hold over the collective heads of other nations.

I believe that low taxes, intelligent spending of those tax revenues, strong initiatives on defense and education, and small government influence on the day-to-day lives of Americans are some of the most important ideals related to how the US should be operated.I believe in the freedoms granted by the US Constitution. I believe that judges should uphold and interpret the laws as written in the US Constitution, and not refer to any foreign legislation to make their historic decisions.

I believe the First Amendment, as well as the entire Bill of Rights, are the most important laws this world has ever seen.

I believe abortion is WRONG. I believe that homosexuality is WRONG. I believe that allowing anyone to publicly debate the possibility of lowering the age of consent, especially for young boys to consent to older men, is a tragedy of morality. I believe that organizations like NAMBLA should be publicly shunned and not given a platform to spew their harmful and dangerous rhetoric.

I believe there is a sad lacking in the ability of our nation to appreciate and accept self responsibility. We, as a nation, blame daddy, racism, sexism, classism, mommy, the mean teacher, the mean little league coach, the loud mouthed uncle, the financial status of the neighborhood in which we grew up in, and a million and one other reasons why we do not succeed. How often do we, as a nation, take the blame for our own mistakes? How often do you hear someone accept responsibility for their own mistakes? How often?

I am conservative. I am worried about the future of the country and the planet, especially if O-BOMB-A or Billary Clinton make it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I will start posting my fears, my hopes, my ideas as they all relate to news and politics. I hope to open some eyes and change some opinions with my writings. Most of all, I hope you will read my words and be inspired to find the truth...and not rely on Chris Matthews or Keith Olberman or Katie Couric or Matt Lauer for your opinions. I hope you will break the mold and do something unreal...unexpected...do something that O-BOMB-A and Billary are afraid of you doing...

THINK FOR YOURSELF.

Cross Referencing My Blogs